Saturday, August 22, 2009

Adventures Begin!

Hello world! I'm in Bethel, Alaska! I've been here two weeks today and it's been certainly interesting so far. Here's what I'm up to:

I joined the Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest, went through orientation in Oregon, met my 6 housemates, flew to Alaska, tried not get lost in our town of one paved road, and began my job. I am a legal advocate at the Tundra Women's Coalition, an advocacy organization and shelter working on cultivating nonviolence in interpersonal relationships (i.e. diminishing the frequency and increasing the healing in relationships suffering from domestic violence and sexual assault) here in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. So far, I really like my job, though the subject is certainly difficult. I have great co-workers and fun housemates and I'm excited to become a part of this community! It's already begun.... I have an Alaska driver's license, we eat a lot of salmon, and I know one word in Yupik: Quyana (it means "thank you", a good one to know I think). Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know I still exist. Hope everything is well downstates!

5 comments:

  1. Hi.

    Andy Mallon mentioned your adventure, and I thought I'd drop you a line.
    I became interested in Alaska when a sibling moved to AK, and again when people asked "Who is Sarah Palin?"

    I found

    themudflats.net
    divasblueoasis.com
    progressivealaska.blogspot.com
    shannynmoore.wordpress.com

    and anonymousbloggers.wordpress.com

    among others.


    The 1st 4 are primarily political blogs, while the last is primarily about rural Native issues.

    They have been influential in creating awareness of environmental, political and native issues, as well as (almost) everything about Sarah Palin.

    I think anyone who wants to have an extended virtual community might want to start with these.

    Each of these blogs has a list of blogs and sites of interest.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariel!!!

    I am glad to hear you are settling in, and I look forward to more updates! "Thank you" was the first word I learned in Dansk, too. :) It is certainly useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heart ariel adventures!! looking forward to the updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in our prayers. I hope these last couple of weeks have gone well.
    Pastor Kirsten

    ReplyDelete